Sycamore Speedway ehwt 2015

Elburn Herald | Sugar Grove Herald

KC Flea Market 468 – indf
Category archive

Community - page 17

‘Unlock the treasure’ with WOW

in Faith by

WATERMAN, ILL.—Waterman ‘Women of the Word’ (WOW) will begin its second semester on Thursday, Jan. 9, at Waterman Presby-terian Church, 250 North Cedar St., Waterman, Ill., with a new 11-week study, “The Gospel of Mark.”

There is both a morning edition from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and an evening edition from 6:45 to 9 p.m., which include small-group interaction and large-group worship and teaching. There is a children’s preschool program for the morning session only. You will enjoy meeting and discovering your personal keys with women from many area communities and churches. For more information or to register, contact Sue at (815) 264-3979 or jhipple23@gmail.com.

The study fee is $15. Lesson one should be completed before class on Jan. 9. Stipends are available.

Ronald Henne

in 2014 Obituaries by

Ronald Henne, 69, of Elburn, passed away peacefully on Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014, after a brief battle with cancer. He was born Oct. 10, 1944, the son of Elde and Myrle (Kinney) Henne.

He grew up on the family farm in Sugar Grove and attended Kaneland area schools.

While working as a student in the Kaneland High School cafeteria, he met his high school sweetheart, Patricia O’Brien. Ron and Pat wed on Feb. 23, 1963. After they were married, Ron worked as a farmhand for the Flint family before becoming a drywall taper for Painter’s District Council 30.

While Ron worked hard on the job, his passion was serving as an Elburn Lions Club member. Ron and Pat spent many of their free hours at the park helping at company picnics, Elburn Days and other events. Ron was a past Lions Club President and received the Melvin Jones Fellowship Award in 1988. Health changes limited Ron’s involvement in Lions events in recent years. He greatly missed the park and camaraderie he felt there.

Ron’s quick smile and sense of humor will be missed by all who knew him. He was a Chicago Cubs fan and began watching many games on television when his health declined. Like all Cub fans, Ron experienced the ups and downs of their play and was known to let a few swear words fly when something went awry for his team.

Ron is survived by his children, Rona Henne of Batavia, Lori (John) Hoffman of Aurora and Jeff Henne of Elburn. He also leaves his grandchildren, Kevin (Amanda) Hoffman of Yorkville, Kyle Hoffman and fiancee Bailey Peterson of Yorkville, Madison Hoffman of Aurora, Nick and Melanie Henne of Elburn, and Michael Henne of Batavia; as well as his sister, Lorraine Kaus of DeKalb, and several nieces and nephews.

Ron’s first great-grandchild, Quinn Hoffman, is due to arrive in March.

Ron also leaves his faithful canine companion, Snoops, whom he loved despite her less-than-ideal manners.

Ron is preceded in death by his wife, Pat, whom he has missed dearly; as well as his parents, and brother, Roger.

The family would like to extend their heartfelt gratitude to: Larry Erickson for faithfully driving dad into Elburn for breakfast in recent years; his caregiver, Debbie Brandau, for her companionship and long talks on the porch with dad; and Michelle Mars, dad’s favorite waitress at Papa G’s, for the laughs she shared with him.

Visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 10, at Conley Funeral Home, 116 W. Pierce St., Elburn. Visitation will continue Saturday, Jan. 11, from 10:30 to 11 a.m. at the funeral home, with a funeral service to celebrate Ron’s life beginning at 11 a.m. Interment will follow at Blackberry Township Cemetery, Elburn.

In lieu of flowers, memorials in Ron’s name may be made to the Elburn Lions Club Helping Hands Fund, c/o Elburn Lions Club, 500 S. Filmore Street, Elburn IL, 60119. Tributes may be forwarded to P.O. Box 66, Elburn, IL 60119, or on the web at conleycare.com.

Juarez receives Brattin Civic Youth Award

in Hometown/Regional/Sugar Grove by

SUGAR GROVE—A Waubonsee Community College student who already has dedicated countless hours to serving her hometown of Aurora has been selected to receive the Ted Brattin Civic Youth Award.

Zayra Juarez, 19, of Aurora, was one of 10 local students honored with the award on Dec. 9, during a luncheon hosted by the Rotary Club of Aurora.

The award and luncheon, sponsored by the Aurora Rotary, the Aurora Navy League and Aurora University, annually recognizes Fox Valley students, ages 13-19, who have exhibited qualities of civic involvement, leadership and community service through school and community activities.

Juarez has volunteered since she was 15 years old. For the last four years, she has served in after school and summer camp programs at First Presbyterian Church in Aurora. Participants in the programs receive tutoring, mentoring and the opportunity to use the church’s gym, as well as religious instruction.

Juarez has also served as a volunteer with the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, walking door-to-door to help Aurora residents register to vote and supporting the coalition’s efforts to make drivers licenses available to more immigrants.

Further, she and her father have also parlayed a newfound love of bicycling into a new community service venture, launching a “recycled bicycle repair shop,” providing low-cost bicycle repair to her community.

Juarez said her experiences working in the community inspired her to major in political science, with an eye toward international law.

At Waubonsee, she serves as secretary for Latinos Unidos, a student organization providing cultural opportunities for students and fostering awareness of the richness of Latino culture. She also is active in Waubonsee’s Christian Fellowship student organization.

“This community service helped me reach my inner potential,” Juarez said. “I learned that having a voice in the community can make many changes and all for the good of everyone.”

Lord of Life Church welcomes new pastor

in Faith by
Pastor_Matt

Photo: Lord of Life Church pastor Matt Blackford relocated from Fort Collins, Colo., to Elburn last November with his wife, Amy, and their 1-year-old son, Axel. Blackford began preaching at Lord of Life on Nov. 17, and has spent the bulk of his time visiting with members of his congregation and the community. Courtesy Photo

LA FOX—The new senior pastor at Lord of Life Lutheran Church is on a mission: he wants to build a relationship with his flock this year.

Pastor Matt Blackford began preaching at Lord of Life on Nov. 17, and he’s spent much of his time visiting with members of his congregation and the community so far.

“I think it’s really important for me to build relationships and build people’s trust during my first year in the community,” Blackford said. “I’m visiting now with several people in their homes, sitting around the table talking to them, sharing food with them. I’m calling people up and letting them know I am here. I’m here many evenings visiting with the youth, the adults, and the volunteers, so that they see that I care and trust my leadership. The church, in my opinion, rises and falls on leadership, and I take seriously the responsibility of how important it is for the pastor to be a leader.”

Blackford and his wife, Amy, moved to Elburn from Fort Collins, Colo., with their 1-year-old son, Axel, in November. After he was ordained in 2007, Blackford spent six years as an associate pastor at Redeemer Lutheran Church, where he was the director of Multi-Site Ministries and in charge of expanding the church to a second location in Gredley, Colo.

When he accepted the call to Lord of Life, he replaced Pastor Phil Ressler, who had served as the church’s senior pastor for nine years before heading to Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd in Old Bridge, N.J.

Lord of Life contacted Blackford in August to see if he’d be interested in the senior pastor position, and then invited him and a handful of other candidates to visit the church and meet some of the members. By September, the church had unanimously voted to extend a call to Blackford to be their senior pastor—and within weeks, the Blackford family began packing their bags for a move to Illinois.

“I like to say that it’s the good Lord who moved me here,” Blackford said. “I was really excited to lead my own congregation, and I saw that this church has a lot of key parts to do great things for the Lord. They are outreach-focused and very Bible-based.”

The same faith that led Blackford to Elburn led him into the ministry in 2003. Originally a graphic designer and artist based in Denver—Blackford has a bachelor’s in graphic design from Concordia University, Nebraska—he left the field to attend Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Mo.

“I painted murals all over Denver, and I had a successful business, but I missed being around people,” Blackford said. “I was facing walls all day. A close friend from college said, ‘Why don’t you consider using your gift for the Lord?’ I wasn’t married at the time, I had no kids, no debt, and I loved the Lord and the church, so I gave it a shot.”

He met Amy while doing his pastoral internship in Woodbury, Minn., in 2006. Her parents were members of his congregation and invited him to meet their daughter, who was headed to St. Louis University for a master’s in social work. For him, it was love at first sight—though it took her a little longer.

“I walked in the door of their house, and I thought to myself, ‘I want to marry this woman.’ I knew right away,” he said. “I asked her out that night, in front of her parents, and her parents didn’t say anything, so she said, ‘I guess. I don’t have anything else to do.’”

Amy worked as a hospice care social worker in Fort Collins, providing end-of-life care to the dying, until the birth of their son in 2012. The couple is expecting their second child this April, and Amy is involved in Lord of Life’s Mom-to-Mom group, which meets on Wednesday mornings.

Blackford said that she plans to become more involved in the church over time.

“We’re both still figuring out her role,” Blackford said. “We’ve only been here a month, so she’s getting to know the church on her own terms to figure out where she fits best.”

Both of them are excited to be in a church with many young families and vibrant children’s and youth ministries, he said.

Blackford hopes that building a strong relationship with the congregation at Lord of Life will provide the foundation for his ministry, which he describes as twofold: to care for his flock and to go make disciples.

“Caring for God’s people has a direct influence on how people then go out into the world and live their lives, at work and in their family, as parents and as friends,” he said. “By being in God’s word and in fellowship here, we are strengthened and influenced to go out and be the presence of Jesus in the world.”

He wants to lead his congregation to “be Jesus’ hands and feet outside these walls,” he said, so that they serve the poor and share the Gospel with others.

Parishioners may have already noticed more of an artistic bent at Lord of Life as well. Blackford still considers himself an artist and said he enjoys designing materials for the church, from the bulletin to the website.

At Redeemer Lutheran, he even incorporated his art into the sermons themselves, painting and preaching at the same time and encouraging some of the younger members to draw along with him.

“On Good Friday a few years back, I added the blood to Jesus’ wounds on a painting (during the sermon),” Blackford said. “A lot of kids came up to me afterward to show me their drawings of Jesus, and it was very powerful.”

He hasn’t painted during a sermon at Lord of Life yet, but he plans to—he’s interested in using art and technology as tools to help reach people, he said.

“I think it’s important to know what’s on the cutting edge to reach people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” he said. “Just like Martin Luther had the printing press as a tool, today we have the Internet and all kinds of technology that can help us to more effectively connect people with Jesus.”

Blackford said he is eager to get to know more church and community members, and he invites them to come to services and introduce themselves to him or to call him at (630) 513-5325.

Lord of Life is located at 40W605 Route 38 in Elburn and has worship services on Sunday mornings at 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. Sunday School is offered during the 10 a.m. service, and nursery care is available during both services. For more information, visit the church’s website at lolchurch.net.

‘Unlock the treasure’ with WOW

in Faith by

WATERMAN, ILL.—Waterman ‘Women of the Word’ (WOW) will begin its second semester on Thursday, Jan. 9, at Waterman Presbyterian Church, 250 North Cedar St., Waterman, Ill., with a new 11-week study, “The Gospel of Mark.”

There is both a morning edition from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and an evening edition from 6:45 to 9 p.m., which include small-group interaction and large-group worship and teaching. There is a children’s preschool program for the morning session only. You will enjoy meeting and discovering your personal keys with women from many area communities and churches. For more information or to register, contact Sue at (815) 264-3979 or sjhipple23@gmail.com.

The study fee is $15. Lesson one should be completed before class on Jan. 9. Stipends are available.

Melanie Hatch

in 2013 Obituaries by

Melanie Hatch, 24, opened an eternal gift on Christmas day after valiantly fighting her cancer with an amazing strength and unmatched dignity since she was only 5 months old. Truly home for Christmas, Melanie was surrounded by the love and prayers of her family that will never forget her courage and the fact that although cancer had broken her body, it never came close to breaking her spirit.

She was born Oct. 1, 1989, in DeKalb, the daughter of Steven and Loretta (Faber) Hatch. At only 5 months old, Melanie was diagnosed with cancer, and her prognosis gave her only another six months to live. Unbeknownst to the doctors, this was the opening Melanie was looking for to shock them by not only exceeding their expectations at every turn, but shattering them. Steven and Loretta searched for the right doctors and new treatments, and each time a door closed, a window opened for them to continue their fight.

Melanie grew up in Maple Park and attended local schools. She graduated in 2008 from Central High School in Burlington, Ill. While in school, Melanie was president of the Writer’s Club and editor of their literary magazine, even though she was legally blind her entire life.

Following graduation, she attended Waubonsee Community College, where she studied English and poetry. She continued the leadership she honed in high school and became editor and president of the Poetry Club, where she was instrumental in the publishing of a book of poems gathered from her fellow students, as well as some works of her own. Later she changed her major to massage therapy with the hopes that she could leave the cold winters of Illinois behind, making a living and name for herself in the warm sunshine of Florida

Melanie was an ambassador for Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, and was a literal poster child for Ride For Kids, founded by Mike and Dianne Traynor, when she was only 3 years old. As she grew, so did the organization, as she helped to develop, organize and expand Ride For Kids, which has now become the largest non-governmental non-profit organization for pediatric brain tumor research. Through her years of treatment, full of ups and downs, success and failures, Melanie never shied away from the spot light and became a role model to other children. Doctors worldwide studied her case and the path she trail-blazed for others to follow.

Melanie had a tremendous heart and a warrior spirit that belied her size. She had a love for everyone and everything, especially those of the four-legged variety. Melanie had a connection with animals of all sizes and kinds, but cats always had a special place in her heart.

While in college, Melanie performed her poetry at The House Cafe and Borders, and was a headliner at “Open Mic Night” at Westridge Community Church in Elgin, Ill.

Through all the years of her diagnoses and treatments, never did she express self-pity or ask “Why me?” Her bedrock of family and faith weathered all storms with the quiet strength of Gibraltar. Rock and roll was the music that spoke to her soul, starting with Elvis and extending through Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix to all the 1980s hard rock and glam-rock bands during her late high school years. College brought alternative bands, whose harder rhythms and darker themes became a balm and brought catharsis to her warrior spirit. No matter who was blasting from her speakers, the life and sparkle that emanated from her eyes and smile could power the city of Chicago with its electricity never faded. Her handshake was strong and firm, and the honest and natural connections she had with so many people radiated warmth and sincerity that forged unbreakable bonds with all who were lucky enough to know and love her.

She is survived by her loving and dedicated parents, Steve and Loretta Hatch; two devoted siblings, Ryan (Cheryl) Hatch and Larissa (Steve) Alcorn; one maternal grandmother, Pauline Faber; aunts and uncles, Char (Mike) Johnson, Guy (Diane) Faber, Sheila (Elwood) Lange, Pierre’ (Kathy) Hatch, Pam Van Den Bosch; seven cousins, Renee (Keith) Johnson, Renee Garcia, Autumn, Travis and Warren Lange, Carmella Hatch and Natalie Hatch; and thousands of people the world over who have come to love and respect Melanie not only for her valiant fight, but her determined spirit and a never-ending love for others.

She is preceded in death by her paternal grandparents, Ansley and Catherine Hatch; her maternal grandfather, Lawrence “Tuffy” Faber; and two uncles, Warren Hatch and Lenny Faber.

Visitation was held on Monday at Westridge Community Church in Elgin. A funeral to celebrate her life and faith will also take place at the church, following a brief visitation from 10 to 10:45 a.m., on Tuesday, Dec. 31, at 11 a.m. Rev. Darren Sloniger, founding pastor of the church, will officiate with private family interment to follow cremation at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, a memorial has been established in her name to benefit Melanie’s favorite charities. Checks may be made to the “Melanie Hatch Memorial” and mailed in care of P.O. Box 66, Elburn, 60119. Tributes may also be forwarded to the same address or on the web at www.conleycare.com, where you can also see her amazing full-life story.

Rosanne Kennedy

in 2013 Obituaries by

Rosanne Kennedy, 61, of Maple Park, passed from this life to eternal life on Nov. 8, 2013, at RML Specialty Hospital in Hinsdale, Ill., surrounded by the love and prayers of her family.

Rosanne was born April 28, 1952, in DeKalb the daughter of Thomas and Rosemary (Finley) Kennedy.
She grew up in Maple Park, where she attended local schools. As a young girl, she was a member of the Girl Scouts and enjoyed all of the camping trips she was able to go on. She later went on to graduate from Notre Dame High School.

After graduation, Rosanne’s love for children called her to the field of childcare. She cared for many children over the years, including her nieces and nephews.

Rosanne enjoyed passing her time in many different ways. She kept up to date with current pop culture, always reading the most recent magazines. As a night owl, she spent endless hours surfing the web. Rosanne had an extensive music collection, but there was no better artist than Elvis Presley in her mind. One of her favorite trips was to Graceland. She enjoyed the simple pleasures in life, like a nice ride in the car or catching a good movie. In recent years, Rosanne enjoyed cooking. Even with all the interests and past times, there was nothing more important to Rosanne than her family. She took a great interest in all of the life events and happenings in the lives of her many extended family members, and she had an amazing memory for family dates and occasions. Rosanne was always there for her family when needed.

She was a lifelong member of St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church in Maple Park.

Roseanne is survived by her mother, Rosemary Kennedy; her brothers and sisters, Patrick (Mona) Kennedy, Mary Kennedy, Tim (Sally) Kennedy, Nora (Kim) Joiner, John (Debra) Kennedy, Dick (Gena Rice) Kennedy, Susan Kennedy and Jim (Katie) Kennedy; her nieces and nephews, Nathan, Ian, Tom, Elizabeth, Joel, Kayla and Mitchell; an extended family and a countryside of friends in Maple Park, where she was a lifelong resident.

She is preceded in death by her father, Thomas Kennedy.

Visitation was held Nov. 11 at Conley Funeral Home, 116 W. Pierce St., Elburn. A funeral mass celebrating Roseanne’s faith was held Nov. 12 at St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, Maple Park. Fr. Dennis Morissy, pastor of the church, celebrated Roseanne’s life.

A memorial has been established in her name to benefit: Checks may be made to the “Name Memorial” and mailed in care of P.O. Box 66, Elburn, 60119. Tributes may also be forwarded to the same address or on the web at www.conleycare.com.

Cole of Elburn recognized by National Society of High School Scholars

in Hometown by

ATLANTA—Patrick Cole of Elburn was recently selected to become a member of the National Society of High School Scholars, an organization that recognizes top scholars who have demonstrated outstanding leadership, scholarship and community commitment.

Cole is an Aurora Christian Schools students.

Habitat restoration workday at Bliss Woods

in Events by

SUGAR GROVE—A habitat restoration workday will be held at Bliss Woods Forest Preserve on Saturday, Dec. 28, from 9 a.m. to noon. Participants will cut and stack invasive brush. Dress appropriately in layers, sturdy, warm shoes and work gloves. Refreshments will be offered at the break. Children under the age of 14 should be accompanied by an adult during the workday. The workday will be canceled if the temperature is 18 degrees or below.

Bliss Woods is located on Bliss Road, a short distance north of Route 47 in Sugar Grove. Meet at the inner parking lot. For more information, email Mary at maryoxie@sbcglobal.net or call Rob Cleave at the Kane County Forest Preserve, (630) 232-5980.

Bingo at Elburn Lions Club

in Events by

ELBURN—The Elburn Lions Club hosts Bingo every Friday night at its clubhouse, 500 Filmore St., Elburn.

The public is invited to attend.

Doors to the event open at 5 p.m. Jump Start Bingo starts at 6:30 p.m., followed by the first of four progressive raffles. Regular Bingo games start at 7 p.m. and include two split-the-pot games.

Proceeds go toward Elburn Lions Charities for the sight and hearing impaired.

Barbara ‘Barb’ Crump

in 2013 Obituaries by
Crump_Obit

Barbara “Barb” Crump, 70, of Elburn, passed away peacefully, surrounded by the prayers of her family, on Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013.

She was born Sept. 23, 1943, the daughter of K. Neville and Virginia (McMillan) Ens in St. Louis, Mo.

Barb grew up in Webster Groves, Mo., and attended local schools. She graduated from Webster Groves High School with the Class of 1961, but not before meeting the man of her dreams, Mark Crump, while roaming the halls.

Following graduation, she attended Lindenwood College. She continued her education at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind.

In between her studies, she and Mark Crump were united in marriage at the Webster Groves Presbyterian Church on Sept. 7, 1963.

They began their new life together back on the campus of Purdue University until they both graduated in 1965. They made their home throughout the Midwest, including Milwaukee, Sterling, Ill., and St. Charles, before settling in Elburn in 1978.

Barb was a clerk for Marshall Field’s for a time, but spent years as a daycare provider out of her home. When her children entered their teen years, she closed the daycare but kept her hands busy by becoming a professional floral designer at Jacobsen’s Flowers in Geneva. Barb worked a few seasons at The Little Traveler in Geneva, where she was known for her display work and her floral arranging demonstrations. She even had one of her designs chosen to be the centerpiece of every table at the FTD National Convention.

Although she tried to retire several times, Barb kept being asked to do special events, weddings and all the arrangements at her church, Fox Valley Presbyterian Church in Geneva. There, she was one of the coordinators of the Friday Night Community Dinners; was an Elder and a Deacon; taught Sunday School; was active in Women’s Church Circle; and was a founding member of the church’s chapter of Stephen Ministry, a care-giving ministry for training lay people of the church to provide care to people faced with difficult life situations. Barb also spent 10 years and thousands of hours reading to the blind with Blind Services in Chicago, and served as president of the Women’s Auxiliary at Delnor Hospital.

Barb had a great imagination and a crafter’s heart. She was a down-to-earth “Martha Stewart,” but without her own television show. She loved being a homemaker and ruled the house from the kitchen. Her cookies, in any variety, were legendary, bringing a smile to your face even if it had been years since you were lucky enough to have one.

She was a hostess to the core, with house decorations for every holiday. It wasn’t uncommon to have parties of 50 or more, several times each year. With all of the effort spent inside the house, she enjoyed the outside, as well, especially on her John Deere mower, making the lawn look great.

She was a loving and devoted grandmother, known to her grandkids as “Grandma Bead” for her beaded necklaces. Every time she saw her grandchildren, she had a present for them.

She is survived by her loving husband of 50 years, Mark Crump; two children, Ann (Ken) Johnson of Evanston, Ill., and Jim (Kristen) Crump of Muskego, Wis.; three grandchildren, Ginny Johnson, Kathryn Crump, William Crump and one unofficial “adopted” granddaughter, Marquita Howard.

She is preceded in death by her parents, K. Neville and Virginia Ens.

A closed casket visitation will take place from 4 to 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 27, at Conley Funeral Home, 116 W. Pierce St., Elburn. A funeral to celebrate her life will take place Saturday, Dec. 28, at 10 a.m. at Fox Valley Presbyterian Church, 227 East Side Drive, Geneva. Rev. Carl Gray, pastor of the church, will officiate. Private family interment will follow at Garfield Cemetery, St. Charles.

A memorial has been established in Barbara’s name to benefit her favorite charities, including the Fox Valley Presbyterian Church. Checks may be made to the “Barbara Crump Memorial” and mailed in care of P.O. Box 66, Elburn, 60119. Tributes may also be forwarded to the same address or on the web at www.conleycare.com.

Local residents earn North Central College dean’s list honors

in Hometown by

NAPERVILLE, ILL.—The following local residents were recently named to North Central College’s dean’s list of scholars for the 2013 fall term: Elaine Cannell, Sarah Hodge, Nicholas Lynch, Evan Michalic, Melissa Schmidt and Ashley Swanson, all of Elburn; and Lauren Companiott, Drew French, Brooke Patterson, Amanda Peterson and Courtney Trnka, all of Sugar Grove.

To be eligible for the dean’s list, undergraduate students must maintain a grade-point average of 3.6 for the term while enrolled as full-time students.

Barry L. Tischhauser

in 2013 Obituaries by

Barry L. Tischhauser, 61, of Athens, Tenn., formerly of Virgil, passed away peacefully on Monday, Nov. 4, 2013, at his home surrounded by the love and care of his family.

He was born Feb. 15, 1952, in Sycamore, the son of Norman and Joyce (VanStone) Tischhauser. Barry grew up in Virgil and attended local schools, graduating from Kaneland High School in Maple Park. After high school, he worked with his dad as a mechanic at Norm’s Service in Virgil.

In April of 1978, he was united in marriage to Donna Clayton. Barry and Donna began their new life together in Athens, where they would spend the next 35 years together. Barry worked at a number of jobs through the years, including a time as a carpenter. He was employed by Robinson Enterprises for over 15 years. Whatever the job, Barry was a “jack of all trades” whose talents were in his hands. When he wasn’t working, he enjoyed countless hours with his Harley-Davison and many an hour with a fishing pole in his hands.

Barry and Donna were blessed with twin daughters, Elizabeth and Amanda. Though they were very small when they arrived, it did not take long for them to win their daddy’s heart. Grown now, with children of their own, Barry loved being “Papaw” to Nathan, Aaron and Savanah. The lights of his world, he leaves them with countless and treasured memories.

He is survived by his loving wife of 35 years, Donna Tischhauser of Athens; his daughters, Elizabeth (Mark) Boesen, and son Aaron, of Woodstock, Ill., and Amanda Walker and special friend, Brandon Smith, and their children Nathan and Savanah, of Athens; four brothers, Dennis Tischhauser of Virgil, Robin Tischhauser of Minnesota, David (Judy) Tischhauser of Genoa, Ill., and Greg (Carla) Tischhauser of Las Vegas, Nev.; one sister, Ena Carlson of DeKalb; his father-in-law, Kenneth Clayton, also of Athens; special friends, Richard “Nutty” McNutt and Ray Revis; a number of nieces and nephews; and a lifetime of friends.

He is preceded in death by his parents, Norm and Joyce Tischhauser; his mother-in-law, Susie Clayton; and his brother-in-law, Keith Carlson.

A celebration of Barry’s life was held Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013, at Christ Community Church, in Athens. The Rev. Carlos Peterson officiated.

The Longest Night

in Faith by

SUGAR GROVE—The Sugar Grove United Methodist Church will host The Longest Night Saturday, Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. at the church, located at 176 Main St., Sugar Grove.

The Longest Night Service is a time to experience a meditative worship service that takes time for remembering, sharing our hurting places with God, and preparing our hearts for the coming of Christ. God’s Word comes to shines light in our darkness.

A light meal will take place before the service at 6:15 p.m.

For more information, call (630) 466-4501 or email sugargroveumc@sbcglobal.net.

Vicki Zerby Frew

in 2013 Obituaries by

“Well, folks, apparently I have accomplished my purpose in life and have moved on. Sorry to report, I still have no idea what my mission was.

“However, I am grateful for all the blessings of this life, starting with my parents, Robert N. and Martha Johnson Zerby of Kaneville. They provided my brothers and me with a solid foundation to build our lives on. I know my brothers Robert K. Zerby and Michael (Cyndi) Zerby will agree. Into that mix I have a son, Jordan (Sara), who I not only admire and respect, but actually like quite a lot. And a nephew, Zak (Kelly) and children (Sully and Mallory), all of whom are an absolute delight. I am also fortunate enough to still have an aunt, an uncle, and nine cousins in this world.

“Besides my family and friends, the core of my life has been shared by four incredible women: Russetta Flander Rauch (cradle friend), Monica Payden (roommate), Deborah Naramore (work mate) and Bakula Sheth (work mate). Our paths have crossed, intertwined, bolstered, and paralleled each other throughout the years. I’ve known Russetta literally my entire life and have known the others each for at least four decades. They each, in their own way, helped me grow into the person I became.

“In lieu of flowers, please practice random acts of kindness.”

Vicki passed away in the early hours of Dec. 1. She was surrounded by love throughout her lifetime and was in the presence of loved ones at the time of her passing. She touched many lives during her 67-year journey in this world.

Vicki’s family and friends are spread far and wide, making a traditional memorial service difficult—therefore, in lieu of a memorial service, please visit VickisCloud.com to share memories, photos, experiences and kind words. Through this tribute of sharing our combined love, memories and experiences of Vicki and her influence on our lives, it’s our hope we can remember—as she believed and reminded us of, in both word and deed:

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” — Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Taize service Dec. 12

in Faith by

ST. CHARLES—St. Charles Episcopal Church, 994 N. 5th Avenue (Rt. 25), St. Charles, invites the community to experience Taize Worship on Thursday, Dec. 12, at 7:30 p.m.

Worship in the style of Taize, a monastic community in central France, is a service of light and shadows, chant and silence, readings and quiet prayer.

Information is available from www.stcharlesepiscopal.org or (630) 584-2596.

Phyllis Liss

in 2013 Obituaries by

Phyllis Liss, 76, went home to Heaven, Wednesday, December 4, 2013 in Fountain Hills, AZ. She was born November 23, 1937.

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Survivors include her husband, Charles Liss; brother, Rocco Crudele (Vonni); children, Joanne (Dan) Schwerdtmann, Francine (Mark) Leuer, James (Kris) Liss and Charles (Mary) Liss II; grandchildren, Bryan (Michelle), Stephanie (Andy), Patrick (Jenn), Samantha, Mackenzie, Andrew, Kimberly, Jimmy, Allison, and Chucky; great-grandchildren, Leanna, Leland, Kinley, Finn, and Gavin.

Phyllis was preceded in death by her parents James and Anna Crudele.

Visitation will be held on Sunday, December 8, 2013 from 1-6 P.M. at The Healy Chapel, 370 Division Dr., Sugar Grove 60554. Her funeral service will be held on Monday, December 9, 2013 at 10:30 A.M. at The Healy Chapel, Sugar Grove. Interment will be at Blackberry Township Cemetery.

For further information please call 630-466-1330 or visit www.healychapel.com to leave an online condolence.

1 15 16 17 18 19 110
Go to Top